The Savannah Stoker is a PID controller upgrade for the Traeger brand of pellet grill. PID controllers get their name from the type of feedback loop they use to control the output. PID is short for “Proportional Integral Derivative”. A good description for those of atechnical bent can be found on the Wikipedia listing for PID Controller.
In order to start an Auto Tune, initiate normal start up and set the SV (Set Value) lower number to 250 temperature. When the pit is stable at 250, initiate the Auto Tune sequence as noted below.
- Press and hold the Set Key to enter into the Parameter’s Menu which will show up in the PV Display (upper number) which is normally the sensor read out (pit temperature).
- Once in the menu each time the Set Key is press the menu advances to next parameter.
- Advance through the menu and record the current I, P and D Parameters (numbers) for reference. This way you can reset it to “factory” if you want to go back.
- If you exit out of the menu just press and hold the Set Key to again enter the menu. To change parameters’ values use the up and down arrows.
- Advance the menu to AT and you will see the number next to AT is 3 (normally).
- Use the Down Arrow to change the number to 2.
- Wait 3 to 5 seconds and the numbers in the SV Display (lower Number) will start flashing which indicates the PID is in the auto tuning mode. This launches Auto Tune.
The auto tuning is accomplished by the PID by cycling from lower to higher temperatures 2 to 3 times.
When Auto Tuning is finished the numbers with stop flashing.
Great write up. I would love to get one for my Traeger. Where can I purchase one. Please let me know.
Sorry I didn’t reply earlier. You can find them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SavannahStoker
OrAL message popping up…